Tudor House- Hanworth Park
Next door to St. George’s Church lies Tudor House, built on the original site of the Manor House hunting lodge often referred to as Tudor Palace.
The manor house, which had become the royal hunting lodge, played host to a score of Kings and Queens including: Henry VII, Henry VIII, Queen Anne Boleyn, Queen Catherine Parr, Queen Mary Tudor (as princess) and Queen Elizabeth (as princess and Queen).
In July 1532, the park was granted with the manor house to Anne Boleyn.
Although the original building burnt down in 1797, a number of treasures still survive. Two terra-cotta heads of the Caesars from the Holbein Gate in Whitehall line the drive to Tudor House. These originally belonged to Cardinal Wolsey. Lines of parallel yew trees planted by Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth still partially exist. A set of marble steps used by Princess Elizabeth to mount her pony can also be found here.
For further information visit: